This super tasty nutrient rich, green chicken curry recipe is a clean alternative to a traditional Thai green curry. Although it is not entirely authentic, I was able to modify it so it is low in fat and very rich in a variety of nutrients which, are particularly good if you’re trying to lose weight! The main vegetables are red pepper, butternut squash, green beans and aubergine, a really killer veggie combination for clean eating. The nutrient content of these 4 vegetables is amazing and I will talk through what makes these vegetables so fabulous, not only for losing weight, but for leaving your taste buds 100% satisfied!
- 1/4 Butternut Squash
- 1 Small Aubergine
- 2 Red Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Servings Thai Green Curry Paste
- 1/2 Pint Chicken Stock
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Green Beans
- 25g Coconut Cream
- Chilli Powder (optional)
- Quiona/ Brown Rice to Serve
- Sprinkle of Salt
- Cut your aubergines into wedges and set to one side in a colander sprinkled with salt and leave for 20 minutes. It helps reduce the bitterness of the aubergines and prevents the discolouration that happens to them so quickly.
2. Chop onions and garlic then in a large frying pan, fry for 2-3 minutes, add your curry paste and fry for another 3 minutes, add your lemon juice and stock, bring to the boil then leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Whilst that is simmering prepare the rest of your vegetables and cut your chicken. You just want to dice the squash, leave the skin on and take the seeds out. Same with the peppers. Then after ten minutes add all the vegetables (including the aubergine) and the chicken to the pan.
4. Leave that to simmer gently for 20 minutes until all the vegetables and the chicken are soft. Season to taste with chilli powder. Add your coconut cream 5 minutes before you’re ready to serve and just let it melt in.
5. Serve and enjoy! Use quinoa or brown rice and grains for a super healthy, tasty, nutrient rich dinner!
What is the Nutrient Content of This Meal?
- Aubergines – Very low in fat and nutrient rich in fibre. They contain an anti-oxidant nasunin which can help protect the lipids (fat cells) surrounding the brain. There’s also evidence to suggest they can actually help you manage your weight.
- Red Peppers – They are a source of over 30 members from the carotenoid nutrient family which are important for protecting against cell damage, aging and the cardiovascular system.
- Butternut Squash– Squash has a high amount of fibre, is low in fat and contains potassium for bones and teeth plus anti-oxidants for a healthy heart.
- Green Beans – They provide a huge variety of nutrients and vitamins without worrying about any weight gain. They’re a high in fibre, folic acid and cotain vitamin A, C, K and B6 to name a few. They’re also a great source of calcium and iron.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe post, this curry is super delicious and really nutrient rich to help you look after your body and feed it with all that good stuff! Let me know if you give this one a go and tweet me @LaurenKirby_ with a picture! See you next week!