This week I’m bringing you 5 ingredient homemade energy bars, a brand new recipe developed entirely by yours truly and I’m so pleased with how this recipe has turned out. If you are on the go, or like me often don’t leave enough time for breakfast, these energy bars are going to change your life. They require no baking and are so quick and easy to make, plus you can freeze them and save them for another time.
As these energy bars only contain 5 ingredients and all these ingredients are totally natural, they are the ideal snack for dieting, healthy eating and fueling your workouts. These energy bars keep you feeling full and release energy slowly over time so you don’t get a nasty spike and crash like you do after eating sugary foods. My absolute favourite thing about these energy bars is the fact I can get myself eating nuts and seeds easily which are such a neglected part of our diets.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Serving: This recipe makes 12 energy bars
350g Pitted Dates
250g Smooth Natural Peanut Butter
150g Pumpkin Seeds
- Firstly you will need to soak your dates in boiling water for 5 minutes so that they are soft. The dates will act like your glue to hold the bars together and won’t blend properly if they are too hard.
- Whilst the dates are soaking blend up your walnuts and pumpkin seeds in a food processor and add to a large mixing bowl
- Once the dates are soft blend them in the food processor and add them to the mix
- Then add the peanut butter and flaxseed and mix well, using your hands works best, you want the mixture to bind together well so the energy bars are nice and densely packed when they’re set.
- Grease and line a medium rectangular tin, something that would be normally suitable for something like flapjack.
- Add the mixture to the tin and flatten down with palms of your hands so it’s nice and compact and fits the tin’s rectangular shape.
- Pop the tin in the fridge and after 30 minutes they should be nice and set, then all you have to do is portion and wrap them. I just use baking parchment, then eat, and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this homemade energy bar recipe. I have plenty more recipes to share with you, so make sure you subscribe and follow me on Twitter @LaurenKirby_ to keep up to date!